[Biopython] Bioinformatics node-red module based on BioPython

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:21:52 EST 2022

Hello Ferran,

You might want to look at BioJS, http://biojs.net/ - although I think they
are dormant now.

To my mind you wouldn't be writing one module for such a workflow system,
but dozens or more. For example, you could have a sequence file format
converter (e.g. SFF to FASTQ), a multiple sequence alignment file format
converted (e.g. PHYLIP to FASTA), a protein statistics tool (FASTA to TSV
table), etc. Some of those would be quite simple, others would be lots of
work for the person linking the Python code to the workflow interface.

That's my impression based on having written quite a few Galaxy tools in
Python - I would be surprised if this was dramatically different in any
other workflow tool. For Galaxy I would start by defining a task as a
command line tool written in Python using Biopython, then for Galaxy
integration it is like wrapping any other command line tool.

Peter