[Biopython] Bioinformatics node-red module based on BioPython

Ferran Fàbregas ferri.fc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 05:00:47 EST 2022

Hi all,

Based on the feedback you gave me a few weeks ago I've been thinking about
leaving the GUI for BioPython and focusing on a BioPython-based workflow
tool.

I'm aware that the Galaxy project also has a workflow tool, but I've been
thinking of using something more modular, flexible and cross-functional
from an IT point of view, so I think node-red could be a great option.

https://nodered.org/

Using node-red you could integrate a new bioinformatics module based on
BioPython with thousands of workflow nodes of all kinds, allowing almost
everything you can ever need, from access to any database engine, to using
an API of anything you can imagine.

For example you can implement, without the need for programming and using
only the workflow interface, applications such as a public Telegram
bioinformatic bot (maybe not very useful, but surely fun).

But node-red is based on node.js, not Python :( Although I have been doing
some research, and it is possible to run python scripts from node-red.

Maybe another option would be to port BioPython to Javascript, facilitating
the integration with node-red infrastructure.

What do you think about using BioPython as a backend for a bioinformatics
module for the node-red workflows?

I also created a ultrabasic test module package for node-red using npm
(using native JS)

https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-biotools

Kind regards,