[Bioperl-l] use blast to extract similar sequences

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 16 13:22:07 UTC 2011

That seems like a pretty straightforward thing to do; there isn't an all-in-one way of doing this, but that's a good thing (it's a separation of concerns).

1) Run and parse BLAST results and grab seqID and coordinates for each hit (or each HSP for each hit) (Bio::SearchIO)
2) Pull the right subsequence +/- 20bp using above from the indexed flat file of your reference (Bio::DB::Fasta)

You can get revcomped sequence from Bio::DB::Fasta directly by flipping coordinates:

  # raw sequence
  my $seq      = $db->seq('CHROMOSOME_I',4_000_000 => 4_100_000);
  my $revseq   = $db->seq('CHROMOSOME_I',4_100_000 => 4_000_000);

chris