[Bioperl-l] Trying to install bioPerl-db on Windows XP

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Dec 11 14:55:12 UTC 2008

For Oracle, the dbname parameter should be what you would otherwise
use as SID (usually that's also the ORACLE_SID environment variable,
and depending on the Oracle version TWO_TASK needs to be set too if
the database is on a remote host).

Note that if you have a tnsnames.ora file that has the SID defined
then you shouldn't need to duplicate the respective parameters here.
For example, in your case you shouldn't need to have port and host set
(you could just comment them out).

There is much more documentation for the individual parameters in
DBHarness.conf.example. Looking at which, I realize that it says host
is mandatory, which is wrong. (In fact, for MySQL and PostgreSQL,
leaving host undef versus setting it to localhost is not the same.)

Let me know if that will solve the problem.

	-hilmar