[Bioperl-l] Re: SeqFeatureI::display_name

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Sun Nov 9 19:12:08 EST 2003

On Saturday, November 8, 2003, at 04:18  PM, Marc Logghe wrote:

> The returned persistent feature objects seem not to know about their
> parent; I mean, the display_name is undef. What should I change to the
> query in order to fill that slot ?

Display_name is not populated from some property of the parent
bioentry; it is a property of the seqfeature (see also
Bio::SeqFeatureI::display_name). Bioperl itself doesn't use the
display_name property when you create those features from databank
files via the SeqIO path. Only Bio::Graphics/Bio::DB::GFF uses it I
think.

Maybe the GFF parser will populate it too, possibly only when reading
GFF3? Does anybody know off hand?

So, for all features that were loaded into the database using a SeqIO
parser the display_name property will be undefined.

Now, the other thing you're noticing is that the seqfeature adaptor
will not automatically load the corresponding sequence and attach it to
the feature. This is so that sequence object serialization does not
enter a circular loop, because when storing sequences their features
will be serialized too. Your way out is either to retrieve sequences
from the query, not features, and then filter out those features you
didn't want, or the code needs to be changed to allow that optionally
the sequence is retrieved for each feature.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org