[Bioperl-l] Proposed route to 1.2

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:56:45 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Hmm. I perfectly understand the need for a feature freeze, but
> according to this plan it could be as long as 6-7 weeks. I may be in
> the situation here to need implement a certain new feature during
> that time, as may be Elia or others. If that happens, should we open
> a branch then the additions on which are later re-merged into the
> HEAD once 1.2 is branched off, or should 1.2 be branched off at the
> time of feature freeze or shortly thereafter?

What the gcc group does in this case is have development *branches* so -
hilmar - you would open a branch for your stuff which as soon as the main
trunk has the 1.2 branch put in, you can merge your development branch in.

This seems like the best solution for these
"semi-slushy" moments. Branching the main trunk too early leads to too
much of the shakedown happening on the branch and then endless back
porting.

Of course, linux takes this DAG approach to the extreme with BitKeeper
systems. We're not there yet.

Does this sound sane?

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.