[Bioperl-l] Q: contributing a UniVec module to BioPerl

Tobias Thierer bioperl-contact@computational-biology.net
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 23:17:55 +0200

Hi Hilmar (and all the others),

> Go to the Wiki (linked from http://www.bioperl.org/). There's a link
> to Programming Conventions.

Thanks for that hint! I've just browsed the information at Wiki and will
keep you guys informed about the module (but first I will be away for two
days). If everything goes fine, I will beg for a CVS account in a few days
;-) (or I will just send the module to one of you guys).

> Generally speaking you want to inherit off Bio::Root::Root for a
> module and Bio::Root::RootI for an interface. This gives you a
> constructor already, but you can override it to have your own
> initialization. A good idea is also to use the template generated by
> bioperl.lisp (menu item 'bioperl object template'. (The latter of
> course means you need to use emacs ...)

Thanks, I will try to get that to work.

> Maybe we should post those bioperl.lisp templates on Wiki?

Would probably be good - if you hadn't mentioned it in your eMail, I would
not have noticed it.

By the way, Wiki also states something outdated about the "upcoming"
release of Bioperl 1.0 around december 2001 (I think that was on the News
page).

> BTW your return email bioperl-l@computational-biology.net looks
> suspicious. Either you need to fix it, or you should choose another
> one. It looks like I'd be sending to another list.

That address is perfectly ok, every mail to computational-biology.net will
reach me. I like chosing subject-specific eMail addresses so that when I
later get an eMail, I know where the person got my address from
(especially if the eMail is SPAM). That also enables me to block specific
semi-public eMail addresses that fell into the hands of spammers.

I've changed it to bioperl-contact@computational-biology.net
I hope that's ok.

By the way, speaking about eMail addresses: I first wanted to answer your
eMail directly to your private Mail account, but:

<hlapp@lj.gnf.org>

550 <hlapp@lj.gnf.org>... Host unknown (Name server: lj.gnf.org.: host not found)

Read ya,

	Tobias