[Bioperl-l] StandAloneBlast Bug?

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Paul Boutros wrote:

> Hi once again,
>
> After commenting out the troublesome reg-ex in IO.pm I now get an error in
> StandAloneBlast.pm
>
> Basically, it is submitting my parameter list to the command-line without
> the executable name concatenated in the front.  Looking at the source
> code, it appears that:
> $executable = 'blastall'
> but
> $PROGRAMS{$executable} = '';
>
> Again, I can get around this by just using:
> my $commandstring = $executable . $param_string;
>
> but I am curious why I am getting so many little bugs.  Is there something
> wrong with my installation?

Because none of the core developers use windows for their analyses.
You're blazing a new trail here so you're probably going to hit some bugs.

This is to say that we NEED someone to do these things, but you're
probably going to find that you'll find a certain number of bugs on your
own.

Primarily Bioperl has been focused on processing output
from reports not running analyses.   This is starting to change.
StandAloneBlast was written before we had a clear idea of how we wanted to
organize the runnable components so it needs a good going through.

The code is now in the bioperl-run CVS module and it has been reworked
some, but probably not enough to localize all the plaform specific code.

Bug submissions are direct to the server so I'm not sure why it isn't
appearing.