[Bioperl-l] Re: No joins

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:52:44 -0700

Can someone point me to a sensible location string (fuzzy or not) that is not round-tripped semantically correct by the following code: (you need a recent CVS snapshot for this to work)

	#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
	use Bio::Factory::FTLocationFactory;
	die "give location string as first arg" unless @ARGV;
	my $locfact = Bio::Factory::FTLocationFactory->new();
	my $loc = $locfact->from_string($ARGV[0]);
	print $loc->to_FTstring(),"\n";

The semantically correct caveat means that complement(join(...)) will come out as join(complement(...),complement(...),...). The sensibility caveat means without nested complements and nested joins.

The idea is to give you the best of both worlds, as far as reasonably possible. If you happen to intend to do something with fuzzies other than yanking them back out as strings, you can, but you don't have to. If you want to strip your feature annotation from features with fuzzy locations such that they're not even attempted to be parsed, here's how to do it:

	1) Create a module, say NoFuzziesLocFact.pm.
	2) Make it inherit off Bio::Factory::FTLocationFactory.
	3) Override method from_string() as follows:

	   sub from_string {
		my ($self,$locstr) = @_;
		return undef if $self->is_fuzzy_loc($locstr);
		return $self->SUPER::from_string($locstr);
	   }

	4) Implement is_fuzzy_loc($locstr) to return TRUE or FALSE, by e.g. regexp matching (*)
	5) Whenever you instantiate a SeqIO stream, add the argument
	   -location_factory => NoFuzziesLocFact->new()
	6) When parsing the stream, ignore the warnings, or call $seqio->verbose(-1)

What I'm trying to say is the layout is quite flexible and doesn't (shouldn't) lock you into either of the fields.

(*) There's a certain complication though: (126^130) is a fuzzy location, whereas (126^127) is not.

	-hilmar