[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::DB Genbank?

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

Bio::DB::GenBank (and DB::GenPept for protein)  -- Grabs sequence data (w/
annotation).  You get back a Bio::Seq object which is already parsed out
for you with our GenBank parser (see Bio::SeqIO).

Works for me currently (until NCBI changes the interface again).  An
alternative - since we have folks at EBI / EMBL who are willing to provide
a stable web interface, is to use Bio::DB::EMBL - a small percentage of
the time NCBI is adding annotation that is not in EMBL, but typically
this is never a problem if you are interested in just sequence info and
rarely a problem for retrieving published annotation for a record.

This web interface is part of the proposed OBDA (http://obda.open-bio.org)
standard that some of the OBF people have put together in response to
developing a set of API for sequence data retrieval from remote or local
data sources.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich