[Bioperl-l] getting credit for bioperl code/doc fixes

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:41:08 +0100

Dear bioperlers,

Many of you may not have noticed that the bioperl package contains file
'bioperl.el'  which contains emacs lisp code for creating a bioperl class,
pod documentation and function templates. Copy and paste from existing perl
modules works well for most needs but if you use emacs have a look.

I've just made small changes to the file. Most impotantly, I've added a new
pod =head1 tag CONTRIBUTORS right after the  tag. In true spirit of
the open, collaborative project I'd like you all start using it in
documentation.

The AUTHOR is mostly a person who created and module and takes care of it.
That should not make others too shy on fixing bugs when they see them and
when they do they should add their name and email into the documentation to
get credit for it.

I do expect to see an inverse correlation on names in CONTIBUTORS and the
amount of work you put on bioperl. In other words, core developers get
their names everywhere even without this, but I really hope people who have
not contributed much, yet, get the feeling that even a small input is
appreciated.

Please join in and ask for a CVS login to start contributing directly.
Traditional bug report format submits to <http://bio.perl.org/bioperl-bugs/>
are also welcome, and will lead to persons name to be added into
CONTRIBUTORS.

	-Heikki

BTW, there a message about good programming style in the perl porters list.
It a good read and it nice to notice that bioperl has been doing things
mostly right: