[Bioperl-l] is_remote() in Location::Simple

Elia Stupka elia@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:40:00 +0100 (BST)

> I think ->is_remote is useful, otherwise you have to carry around your
> parent seqid everywhere.

Yes, let me just defend my commin on this one ;) is_remote is just a nice
way in systems like bioperl-db, where we have a series of DBAdaptors for
each object we store. In this case you would really have to carry the
original seqid down a few adaptors (seq->feature->location), just to do an
if statement to see if it's remote or not.

On a different note, at the moment it is a get/set while maye some people
would argue it should be derived by checking the seqid, and cahing it (or
not).

Elia

tel:    +44 1223 49 44 31
mobile: +44 7971 59 03 69