[Open-bio-l] BioSQL schema: some questions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:09:17 -0700

Well, my original argument was that that would mean that a bioentry could have many biosequences, with those attributes being different from one to another (right now, the relationship is identifying, i.e., there can be only one biosequence for a particular bioentry). Or, those attributes would possibly change their value from one biosequence version to another. I don't really know whether that can possibly be the case.

> Swissprot has alot of DR lines with alot of databases, most
> of which one
> does not want to instatiate a database entry for (although one
> could...) each which has it own pecularities about id tracking.

What would be the downside of instantiating a database entry for each of those? Wouldn't you have to match the dbname against biodatabase.name anyway if you want to look up the referenced entry? I guess only if you wanted to do really that, but not if it's just for record-keeping aimed at round-tripping, right?

It also strikes me that you need only dbname and accession in Dbxref to uniquely reference a record, whereas you need (at least) the version, too, in bioentry.

Related to that, why is there only accession and version (you see, dbxref is the only one without a version) in Remote_seqfeature_name? Because the dbname is implicitly the database the bioentry is linked to the seqfeature is linked to?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org