[MOBY-l] [moby] Re: error when do make test

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Feb 16 20:01:08 UTC 2006

It sounds to me like what you are trying to do is wrap your web page
with a BioMoby service.

This isn't a particularly stable configuration to be aiming for (for all
of the same reasons that screen-scraping has never been able to
successfully build a semantic web!).  You should probably re-think your
plan and make myfile.cgi into a MOBY service directly...  Nevertheless,
if this is what you are committed to, here's how you would go about it:

1)  set up a MOBY daemon, exactly as in the tutorial
2)  set up a MOBY service exactly as in the tutorial
	- the service consumes an input (apparently SQL string)
	- the service consumes secondary parameters (e.g. BioCyc)
	- the service makes a Perl(?) LWP call to myfile.cgi
	- the service captures the HTML output from myfile.cgi
	- the service parses that HTML to extract the data of interest
	- the service re-packages that data into a MOBY object
	- the service returns the MOBY object to the requester
3)  register that service in MOBY Central

If you have not read the tutorial, I suggest you do that before you ask
more questions, since I think my answers are just re-iterating what is
said in those tutorials...

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 13:35 -0500, Nicholas Sutanto wrote:
> Here is actually what I'm planning to do.
>
> I have this website: http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nsutanto/bio.html.
> And when we do submit query, it will call "myfile.cgi".
>
> I want to make a simple client that can access "myfile.cgi" and query
> and have a result back to me. And I want to put "myfile.cgi" to the
> biomoby, and my client can call my functions from myfile.cgi through
> biomoby.
> So, how do I put "myfile.cgi" to the biomoby?
>
> Sorry if my previous question confused you all.
> Let me know if you guys still confuse about my goal.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
> Nicholas Sutanto.
>
> Frank Gibbons wrote:
> > Nicholas,
> >
> > My suggestion is to ignore these errors - it's clear that you do not
> > have the modules "DBD::mysql" or XML::DOM installed. Unless you are
> > planning to set up your own MOBY Central database, you do not need
> > this. But you definitely need XML::DOM, so get it from CPAN, and while
> > you're there, you might want to just install DBD::mysql as well.
> >
> > As Eddie mentioned earlier, it would help us a lot if you explain a
> > little about what your interest and ultimate goals are: set up your
> > own database, set up a service, etc. I'll try to fix the code so that
> > the tests pass for users like you, who don't have DBD::mysql. In the
> > meantime, you should just continue to installation and then playing
> > around with the dispatcher and echo-service.
> >
> > -Frank

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future