[MOBY-l] Installation docs & issues

Cath Lawrence Cath.Lawrence at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 10 01:49:47 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've just signed up and am just trying to install MOBY (all bits) for a
quick trial. Not yet succeeded but I'm still going. Hints are welcome.

Meanwhile, I've found some bu^H^Hissues with the documentation and
tests - I'm not sure if I should send these here or to the particular
authors, but it does say for general remarks email moby-l ... (or if
not smiling, markw at illuminae, so Hi, Mark.)

So, here goes.

1.  Simple perl install
------------------------
README in  $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl suggests a simple install (perl
Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install.)
This procedure:
i) reports a missing file from the MANIFEST
(Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
         config/MOBYPatch.pl)
ii) "make test" breaks a lot for me - and it looks as if the tests are
actually not up to date?
Examples:
#     Failed test (t/Client-Central.t at line 88)
#          got: 'org.embl.ebi.senger'
#     expected: 'illuminae.com'
#     Failed test (t/Client-Central.t at line 89)
#          got: 'TestingServiceNew'
#     expected: 'Servicetest2'

There were a couple of other issues, too, so I thought "make install"
might not be a great idea and moved on to the component-by-component as
also suggested in the document.

2. Component Install
--------------------
This README file also directs you to specific docs for each component
These seem to refer to an outdated structure
My first stop point is:
in $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/docs
INSTALL-Central.txt says at step 4 to
"cp $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/Central/MOBY YourWebServerPath"

But this does not exist. There is a
$CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/MOBY/Central.pm

Is that it? Or is it supposed to be the whole
$CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/MOBY directory & contents?

Other documents here refer to $CVSROT/moby-live/Perl/Client - likewise
non-existent in the current CVS structure.

That's it so far. Does anyone have any hints for me? (BTW, I'm more
familiar with python/postgresql  than perl/mysql. I'm not religious
about it but it does mean I might miss stuff that seems obvious to
seasoned perl users.)

regards,
Cath

--
Cath dot Lawrence at anu dot edu dot au
Senior Scientific Programmer, Centre for BioInformation Science,