[MOBY-l] MOBY-DIC-III pictures and a new branch of the project

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Apr 3 22:46:23 UTC 2003

Hi MOBYers!

I've put some pictures from the MOBY-DIC III meeting up on the website,
as well as a link to a new branch of the project headed up by 2% of
Lincoln Stein (which 2% is left to the readers imagination), along with
Damian Gessler and Andrew Farmer.

MOBY ShMOBY!  In keeping with the research-oriented nature of the
BioMOBY project, we are going to run two development paths in parallel.
The MOBY project that we have been working on so far (now referred to as
MOBY-S) is based on a web-services paradigm.  Development will continue
on this codebase, largely headed by me.  At the same time, Lincoln and
Co. are going to try to build a Semantic-Web approach to the problem
(referred to as S-MOBY).  Once these are both up and running we're going
to test MOBY-S/S-MOBY  on identical sets of UseCases to see which (if
either) can really solve the interoperability problem.  From there, we
will determine the most appropriate future direction of the BioMOBY
project.

Do not be discouraged from setting up services under the MOBY-S API that
has just been released!  These will continue to be functional despite
these other development activities!

There will be some reorganization of the CVS over the next week or so.
MOBY-S will be in one repository, S-MOBY will be in a second, and you
will be able to check out either or both.  The new repository should
become available sometime tomorrow.  Checkout details will be available
on the biomoby website.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on to reduce the
confusion when you see commit messages starting to come from another
repository...

Cheers all!