[MOBY-l] Re: [MISC] Installation docs & issues

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Apr 10 16:42:12 UTC 2003

This is strange... why would the tests now apparently try to connect to
Martin's instance of MOBY Central at EBI?

nevertheless, there is no point in trying to set up MOBY until we finish
the current major code revision - most things will be broken in the
meantime.  It should be done after the I3C hackaton next month, and will
be stable for a long long time thereafter.

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 19:49, Cath Lawrence wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just signed up and am just trying to install MOBY (all bits) for a
> quick trial. Not yet succeeded but I'm still going. Hints are welcome.
>
> Meanwhile, I've found some bu^H^Hissues with the documentation and
> tests - I'm not sure if I should send these here or to the particular
> authors, but it does say for general remarks email moby-l ... (or if
> not smiling, markw at illuminae, so Hi, Mark.)
>
> So, here goes.
>
> 1.  Simple perl install
> ------------------------
> README in  $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl suggests a simple install (perl
> Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install.)
> This procedure:
> i) reports a missing file from the MANIFEST
> (Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
>          config/MOBYPatch.pl)
> ii) "make test" breaks a lot for me - and it looks as if the tests are
> actually not up to date?
> Examples:
> #     Failed test (t/Client-Central.t at line 88)
> #          got: 'org.embl.ebi.senger'
> #     expected: 'illuminae.com'
> #     Failed test (t/Client-Central.t at line 89)
> #          got: 'TestingServiceNew'
> #     expected: 'Servicetest2'
>
> There were a couple of other issues, too, so I thought "make install"
> might not be a great idea and moved on to the component-by-component as
> also suggested in the document.
>
> 2. Component Install
> --------------------
> This README file also directs you to specific docs for each component
> These seem to refer to an outdated structure
> My first stop point is:
> in $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/docs
> INSTALL-Central.txt says at step 4 to
> "cp $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/Central/MOBY YourWebServerPath"
>
> But this does not exist. There is a
> $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/MOBY/Central.pm
>
> Is that it? Or is it supposed to be the whole
> $CVSROOT/moby-live/Perl/MOBY directory & contents?
>
> Other documents here refer to $CVSROT/moby-live/Perl/Client - likewise
> non-existent in the current CVS structure.
>
> That's it so far. Does anyone have any hints for me? (BTW, I'm more
> familiar with python/postgresql  than perl/mysql. I'm not religious
> about it but it does mean I might miss stuff that seems obvious to
> seasoned perl users.)
>
> regards,
> Cath
>
> --
> Cath dot Lawrence at anu dot edu dot au
> Senior Scientific Programmer, Centre for BioInformation Science,
> Australian National University

                                    |--==\
Mark Wilkinson, Ph.D.                \==-|
Bioinformatics Consultant             \=/        0010010010100101110010
Illuminae Media                       /-\
727 6th Ave. N.                      /-==|       0010100100111101010010
Saskatoon, SK, Canada               |==-/
S7K 2S8                              \=/         0100100100010010010101
+1 (306) 373 3841                     /\
markw at illuminae.com                  /=-\        1101001010100101010101
                                    |--==\