[MOBY-l] Comment on the MOBY Client behaviour

mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Sat Aug 17 14:56:39 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I just found a behaviour in the client that I want to raise in case any
of you were confused by it.

If you do the following "thread" of transactions:

Generic/Keyword -> Flybase --->GO_Term -> TAIR ----> Sequence -> PBI-NRC
----> BLAST  you will find that the namespace of the Blast reports
continues to be TAIR/Locus.  This is not an error per se, as the
namespace and ID attached to the Blast report are, in fact, TAIR/Locus
id=123456...  but  it looks confusing, I agree.  Since the Client rips
any object apart (including Blast reports) to find out what's in their
innards, it does successfully find a base object with namespace TAIR and
ID whatever, and despite the fact that you have a blast report in your
hand, you could conceivably send that back to TAIR to retrieve the
original sequence again... and in fact, this is the first optionon the
drop-down list of available services which is what brought this
behaviour to my attention  :-)

It is going to take some clever Client design to prevent people from
doing this and confusing themselves!!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae.com