[MOBY-l] New GO service at BDGP.

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Aug 9 21:52:12 UTC 2002

Paul Gordon wrote:

>1. A service that returned a blank result
>2. A service that does not return a result (e.g. a remote save function)

I'm not sure about the need to distinguish these two...

>3. A service that could not execute because I formatted a request
>improperly (e.g. server was passed wrong object type)

I agree, and I'm already working on an error-type object- it just took a
back seat to other stuff that we needed for ISMB

>4. A service that could not execute because something is wrong on the
>server.

These generally return HTTP errors, so we don't need to worry about
those.  SOAP errors and HTTP errors can be caught without us having to
define special objects for them.

If the service is "down", we get no response to the service execution
(i.e. no MOBY envelope either) so we can distinguish that case as well...