[MOBY-l] New GO service at BDGP.

Paul Gordon gordonp at cbr.nrc.ca
Mon Aug 12 16:43:18 UTC 2002

> Paul Gordon wrote:
>
> >1. A service that returned a blank result
> >2. A service that does not return a result (e.g. a remote save function)
> >
> I'm not sure about the need to distinguish these two...

As one of the points of MOBY is to create a chain of evidence so to
speak, I guess I was thinking it would be nice to be able to distinguish
between a successful transaction and a non-successful transaction
without the client having to explicitly compare the returned object to the
service signature (or could you even check the signature if null and
emptyArray are represented the same way?  ambiguous syntax...)

e.g. if a user follows a link in the client, and gets a blank, you might
want to say in the status bar "Sorry, the service did not return any
results".  But if the service doesn't return results, it would be better
to say something like "Transaction complete", and not blank the
previous results window if you have one.

A registered "null" concept is nice to have from a programmer's
perspective, and could be very easy, e.g. <moby authority="null"... or
whatever