[MOBY-dev] Changing only the description of an ontolgy entry

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Tue Jan 27 07:32:08 UTC 2009

Of course the description is important for the understanding and the use
of the datatype - but as its free text where everybody can add any
information (and therefore also less information) i wouldnt count this
as the *essence* of the datatype. If we would talk about a description
ontology or other controlled vocabulary... I would agree. You could also
say that random characters do not give an implied meaning - thats
basically what the description is.

Just as an example what i mean (actually this shows it for the
description of a service) - if you have a service called "runBlast"...
the description about is "Runs a Blast".
Does this give you any implied meaning ? what version of blast, against
what database, what blast program etc etc...

Sorry - this is a general issue ... a random user based text should not
be seen as the essence of any element in the ontology.....

And my suggestion in the way i want to change them is basically add new
information, being more specific or erazing typos... I know that allow
this would also enable people to completly change the description of a
datatype... but as we allow people already being that much I wouldnt
dare to give this opportunity.

Cheers
Andreas

Paul Gordon wrote:

>> I agree here with Martin ... i dont want to change anything which
>> will change the LSID and therefore which might change any
>> dependencies - in my case its ONLY the description.
> I respectfully disagree: the description is the *essence* of the data
> type.  Otherwise the data type is just a random assortment of fields
> with no implied meaning in the real world, and therefore useless.  If
> you change the description, you change the version, even if you think
> its minor, others may not.
>
> I agree that you should be able to change it without deregistering
> though, that's a major flaw...

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449