[MOBY-dev] Changing only the description of an ontolgy entry

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Tue Jan 27 07:40:19 UTC 2009

*ups*

sorry for some mistakes in my email.... too early here :(

 > but as we allow people already being that much I wouldnt dare to give
this opportunity.
i meant "I would dare...." of course...

i should sleep longer...

Andreas Groscurth wrote:
> Of course the description is important for the understanding and the
> use of the datatype - but as its free text where everybody can add any
> information (and therefore also less information) i wouldnt count this
> as the *essence* of the datatype. If we would talk about a description
> ontology or other controlled vocabulary... I would agree. You could
> also say that random characters do not give an implied meaning - thats
> basically what the description is.
>
> Just as an example what i mean (actually this shows it for the
> description of a service) - if you have a service called "runBlast"...
> the description about is "Runs a Blast".
> Does this give you any implied meaning ? what version of blast,
> against what database, what blast program etc etc...
>
> Sorry - this is a general issue ... a random user based text should
> not be seen as the essence of any element in the ontology.....
>
> And my suggestion in the way i want to change them is basically add
> new information, being more specific or erazing typos... I know that
> allow this would also enable people to completly change the
> description of a datatype... but as we allow people already being that
> much I wouldnt dare to give this opportunity.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas
>
> Paul Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> I agree here with Martin ... i dont want to change anything which
>>> will change the LSID and therefore which might change any
>>> dependencies - in my case its ONLY the description.
>> I respectfully disagree: the description is the *essence* of the data
>> type.  Otherwise the data type is just a random assortment of fields
>> with no implied meaning in the real world, and therefore useless.  If
>> you change the description, you change the version, even if you think
>> its minor, others may not.
>>
>> I agree that you should be able to change it without deregistering
>> though, that's a major flaw...

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449