[MOBY-dev] Cleaning the registry

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Tue Jan 6 11:10:21 UTC 2009

Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> Andreas Groscurth wrote:
>
>> This means 53% of all registered datatypes are not used - and 50% of
>> all Namespaces !!!
>>
>> How do you think about cleaning the registry once in a while and
>> erase unsused datatypes and namespaces ?
>>
>> Of course they might be useable for a service provider someday, but
>> for the sake of clarity I would suggest to do that. Cleaning both
>> would reduce the number of entries by more than the half, which would
>> result in smaller, more compact, better understandable and better
>> browsable ontologies.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> For the theory, I think this is good idea but why not start by mailing
> the owner of the datatypes/namespaces to tell them that their creation
> is not used. I think that would be the first step before removing
> anything :)
>
> Could you provide the list of the datatypes and namespace you found
> somewhere ?
>
> Thanks and regards
> ,
Of course it would be nice to ask the owner to remove it, but honestly -
the question is a) is the owner still reachable via this email, b) does
he/she respond to it and c) does she/he unregister it ?
The automatic way is more reliable ...

BUT - I have found an error in my numbers... I count datatypes which are
children of an used datatype as unused....

As soon as I correct this i will post the list with the unsused types
and numbers on a web page.

Cheers
Andreas

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449