[MOBY-dev] [MOBY-l] Cleaning the registry

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Tue Jan 6 13:32:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

I uploaded to html files showing the unsused elements:

http://bioinfo.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/datatypes2Delete.html
http://bioinfo.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/namespaces2Delete.html

The corrected number for the datatypes is 331 / 721 (45%).

I assume that people register their namespaces / datatypes in advance to
their service. So of course their mightbe elements which will be used in
the near future - I'm not talking about cleaning it every week or so.
But thinking about a monthly basis is fair to me and via the LSID it can
be checked how old the entry is.

As you can see on the page - there are entries unused which are
registered in 2001 etc...

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Groscurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a short script which basically fetches all namespaces and all
> datatypes registered at the Moby central in Canada. Both are then
> compared to all datatypes and namespaces of all registered services
> used for the input and the output definition.
>
> Assuming the retrieval methods in jmoby work correctly and my script
> does it also we have the following numbers:
>
> Registered Data Types: 721
> Unused Data Types: 388
>
> Registered Namespaces: 459
> Unused Namespaces: 232
>
> This means 53% of all registered datatypes are not used - and 50% of
> all Namespaces !!!
>
> How do you think about cleaning the registry once in a while and erase
> unsused datatypes and namespaces ?
>
> Of course they might be useable for a service provider someday, but
> for the sake of clarity I would suggest to do that. Cleaning both
> would reduce the number of entries by more than the half, which would
> result in smaller, more compact, better understandable and better
> browsable ontologies.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Cheers
> Andreas
>
> PS: Sorry if you receive this email twice now... I (again) wrote the
> first mail from another, not registered, email account....

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449