[MOBY-dev] Moby in a secure world

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Thu Nov 22 14:16:06 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas,

On 22-nov-2007, at 12:54, groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de wrote:

> Hiho,
>
> at the EU-Sol meeting in Rome we discussed the usability of Moby
> for the
> project. One main issue was if it is possible to secure the data
> send via
> WebServices and to ensure that only specific people are able to use
> specific webservices. This is because the EU-Sol is a closed
> consortium
> with industry partners and they, but also the "normal" biologists,
> demand
> to have a solution which guarantees such requirements.

In one of our collaborations I'm in a similar situation with a
combined public / private consortium.
There are several ways to secure your services, that can already work
with the current state of the BioMOBY art. The thing is that as far
as I know there is not really a standard ... yet. So probably several
people already have different mechanisms in place.

I'm using HTTPS to secure the connection. Next I do authentication on
the web service level: in addition to other data I'm sending a
BioMOBY object called "User" around. This contains a user ID, a
password and an e-mail address. If necessary I validate those against
an LDAP server. Instead of doing authentication on the web service
level, you could also do authentication on the level of the web
server or on the level of the transport layer. The reason I'm not
doing this is that it would require extra logic for a workflow
builder or client to handle this and not all of them do. Putting the
user credentials inside the BioMOBY payload of the SOAP message makes
sure this way of handling authentication works with any BioMOBY
client :).

If anyone has a more elegant solution I'd love the hear about it!

Cheers,

Pi

> So what I was wondering if this issue already came up in Moby ? I'm
> currently getting started to understand the current principles of
> securing
> WebServices, but i was wondering if someone has somehow experiences
> with
> that ?
>
> So any comments and hints are welcome :-)
>
> Best
> andreas

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen