[MOBY-dev] [moby] BioMOBY at ISMB / BOSC 2006

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Jul 28 09:44:15 UTC 2006

On 26-Jul-2006, at 6:06 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi Pieter,
>
> Nobody from the Vancouver crew will be at that meeting, unfortunately,
> but a BOF would be really great - beach or no beach :-)

That's really a pitty nobody of your group will be there :(.

>   I suspect that
> some of the Madrid/Barcelona team will be at ISMB as well, and it
> would
> be really great for us to somehow better coordinate with their
> activities.

I hope some of them will be there. We'll see. For those who will be
there: I registered the first BOF for friday 17:00.

	http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2006/Birds-of-a-Feather

Place is not yet known as I have no clue what options the convention
center has... stay tuned.

> A MOBY Booze-flow pipeline sounds like something I am going to regret
> missing!

Who said there would be booze? Might be healthy juices overloaded
with vitamins as well :). Anyway I'll do an intensive case-study and
try to document it :).

Pi

> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 13:53 +0200, Pieter Neerincx wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering who's traveling to Fortaleza next week. I quickly
>> browsed the program and saw Martin (et al.) will give a presentation
>> at BOSC and will have a poster at ISMB, but I didn't spot any
>> gathering for Mobyfiers yet. It's been a while since Mark organized
>> BioMOBY meetings, so I was wondering in case many of you will be
>> there if we can have some sort of informal BioMOBY gathering. Surely
>> this mailinglist does a fine job, but sometimes it's much faster to
>> talk to people "live" :). Furthermore  I'd love to see the faces that
>> go with the names on this list :).
>>
>> So how do the others feel about a BioMOBY lunch or a BioMOBY coffee
>> break meeting point? I also wouldn't mind to stay longer at the
>> convention center for a BioMOBY diner. Then there is also the option
>> of a Birds of a Feather (BOF) meeting during BOSC (These are free-
>> form meetings organized by the attendees themselves to discuss one or
>> a few topics of interest in greater detail). The list with suggestion
>> for BOF topics is still empty last time I checked....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pi

> --
> Mark Wilkinson
> Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
> University of British Columbia
> PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
> St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
> Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
> tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
> fax: 604 806 9274
>
> "Since the point of a definition is to explain the meaning of a
> term to
>    someone who is unfamiliar with its proper application, the use of
> language that doesn't help such a person learn how to apply the
> term is
>  pointless. Thus, "happiness is a warm puppy" may be a lovely thought,
>                      but it is a lousy definition."
>
> Köhler et al, 2006

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen