[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: Suggestion for new tag in Parameter(Secondary Input specification)

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Mon Feb 27 23:55:12 UTC 2006

The main problem:

If somebody specifies a float, can I legally submit a e-value cutoff
like "1.0e-180" (i.e. are we going to assume bit capacity, such as
2^-149 for 16-byte IEEE floating point, or are we supporting arbitrary
precision)? Underflow and overflow can cause problems on many
systems...  same thing for integers > 2^32...

Actually, do we support scientific notation?  That isn't mentioned either.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Yes, you are right Pieter.  You could enumerate integers, or even
floats for that matter: this distinction matters for a server with
strong types, but not for the client.  I've been too client centric
lately :-)