[MOBY-dev] [moby] Suggestion for new tag in Parameter (Secondary Input specification)

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Feb 24 19:30:44 UTC 2006

On 24-Feb-2006, at 5:26 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:38 +0000, Martin Senger wrote:
>>> I would rather like to see a solution where this additional
>>> information is provided by the service (provider)
>>>
>>    This solution already exists. It is called LSID metadata
>> resolution and
>> any service provider can (should) do it.
>

> Absolutely correct!
>
> The "core" predicates were defined in the RFC, and are documented
> here:
> http://biomoby.open-bio.org/index.php/for-
> developers/moby_extensions/moby_metadata

Check, I took a second look at the site. Looks like LSID resolution
could perfectly work for these things as well. Thanks Martin and Mark
for clarifying the extensibility of LSID metadata resolution. I
previously overlooked that completely.

> It's probably a good idea to discuss what the common extension
> predicates are going to be amongst the community so that we all know
> what to look for in your RDF (and these may eventually become part of
> the core API),

I would welcome that discussion. I could not find tags for things
like example input, example output and extended help yet, but those
would be useful for many of us. And it would hamper interoperability
if everyone designs their own lollypop for that functionality.

> but that doesn't stop anyone from adding whatever
> metadata they wish to their own RDF.

Which is great as well!

I saw the light,

Pi

> --
>
> --
> Mark Wilkinson
> Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
> University of British Columbia
> PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
> St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
> Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
> tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
> fax: 604 806 9274
>
> "For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
>        a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
> What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and
> interesting
>       that communication has become more than a conduit,
>        it has become a destination in its own right..."
>
>                 Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen