[MOBY-dev] problems with retrieveService() in Perl API

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Feb 10 10:57:55 UTC 2006

Hi Frank,

On 10-Feb-2006, at 12:26 AM, Frank Gibbons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the Perl API.

You know I've had one. I kind off found a workaround for the time
being, but I do know it's XML parsing related and really hope I won't
run into more problems. I'm still suspecting a minor security update
for messing up either libxml2, libxslt or something related and as a
result XML::LibXML not playing nice anymore. The
createDocumentFragment() method used to work for me for over 1.5
years, so something must have changed. I'm on SuSE by the way as
well. SLES 9 (i386) with service pack 3 to be precise. XML::LibXML is
1.58. I tried the latest libxml2 2.6.23 and recompiled XML::LibXML
for that one, but that gave me the same results. I currently running
on SOAP::Lite 0.66 with custom patches, but I'm going to try 0.67
today... If you reinstalled Perl, did you also reinstall SOAP::Lite?
If yes which version? In case it's 0.60+ you might have an "anyURI"
problem.
I you have a snipped of code that produces the problem, I could run
it in my setup to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Pi

> As you know,
> I've been having difficulties the last few days. My current
> roadblock is
> that, while I can discover services from MOBY Central, I am unable to
> retrieve the service description (WSDL). I have tried Mark's at
> iCapture,
> as well as the one at MIPS, and the symptoms are identical at both.
>
> Retrieval fails because the MOBY Central thinks it got an empty
> message
> from me, and XML parser *hates* being asked to parse empty
> messages. Yet,
> if I insert code immediately preceding the line in which I call the
> remote
> MOBY Central, I can verify that I'm *not* sending an empty message.
>
> So now I'm wondering whether there could some problem with the
> transport
> layer, or possibly with some kind of dependency on a module that no-
> one is
> aware of. Has anyone run into this kind of issue before? I don't
> understand
> what's going on: I installed a new perl interpreter to deal with some
> issues I was having parsing XML, and now I can't even get the XML I
> was
> having difficulty with! Any ideas would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Frank
>

> PhD, Computational Biologist,
> Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA
> 02115, USA.
> Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
> 617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen