[MOBY-dev] problems with retrieveService() in Perl API

Frank Gibbons francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 9 23:26:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the Perl API. As you know,
I've been having difficulties the last few days. My current roadblock is
that, while I can discover services from MOBY Central, I am unable to
retrieve the service description (WSDL). I have tried Mark's at iCapture,
as well as the one at MIPS, and the symptoms are identical at both.

Retrieval fails because the MOBY Central thinks it got an empty message
from me, and XML parser *hates* being asked to parse empty messages. Yet,
if I insert code immediately preceding the line in which I call the remote
MOBY Central, I can verify that I'm *not* sending an empty message.

So now I'm wondering whether there could some problem with the transport
layer, or possibly with some kind of dependency on a module that no-one is
aware of. Has anyone run into this kind of issue before? I don't understand
what's going on: I installed a new perl interpreter to deal with some
issues I was having parsing XML, and now I can't even get the XML I was
having difficulty with! Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons