[MOBY-dev] [moby] RFC #1941: INB Asynchronous Service Call Proposal - sync mode required or not?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Feb 9 18:13:05 UTC 2006

I guess this speaks to the issue of whether synch/asynch/both need to be
flags registered in the registry, or not.  If they were, then clients
that didn't report themselves as asynch-enabled could be excluded from
discovering services that were asynch only...

I'm not advocating one position or another, just suggesting that it
could be handled that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next draft of the RFC proposal where
these ideas are more formally synthesized!!

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 18:00 +0100, Pieter Neerincx wrote:
> Hi Johan et al.,
>
> Thanks for the summary. There is one more point I'd like to discuss
> with you all. The proposal lists that a service provider should
> always support sync mode. So it's either sync only or sync and async.
> I have a service for which supporting sync doesn't make any sense.
> The jobs take way to long for sync mode. I'd rather not waste
> resources on all the clients that try sync mode first and run into
> webserver time-outs after a minute or 5. So my question is do we
> really have to support sync for all services? If the answer to that
> question is yes, I hereby request an additional error code for the
> recently adopted error handling RFC to signal that a service can only
> be invoked in async mode. So if I have to implement sync, I will do
> it but throw an error by default :).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pi

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future