[MOBY-dev] Notice that the ever elusive agent will start curating in 2 weeks

Edward Kawas edward.kawas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:12:13 UTC 2006

> > I am going to create a test registry soon and you (and
> everyone else)
> > can use this registry for these types of services.
> >
>    I think that a selected authority (in my case
> net.jmoby.samples) is good enough not to confuse people - and
> I prefer to use a real registry when I am teching how to use
> it. Why the address 'localhost' would cause any problems?
> Every client, including your code in taverna, can easily
> ignore these services and not to show them...

Using localhost doesn’t cause any problems, and you are right
about clients being able to ignore them. My *personal* opinion
is that if some naïve user comes and wants to try out moby and
they encounter services that they would like to use, but they are
all localhost or point to some unreachable domain, they would
probably become frustrated and leave moby alone. The main registry
should contain real services. It is very frustrating trying to show
people what moby is, or how to use it when 90% of the services don’t
really 'work'. Sure I can write a client that ignores certain authorities,
but I  am not worried about me. Anyways, this is just my opinion. I
thought that I would create a test registry so that others could benefit
from it without feeling like the main registry was the only place they
had to register their test services.

Ed