[MOBY-dev] [moby] RDF file generation for test registry

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Apr 4 15:56:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 12:34 +0200, heese at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de wrote:

> my services. Can you please deregister them, so I can regain control over
> them? I will use an RDF file for registration next time, I promise :) ...

The RDF signature migration has been a painfully slow process for a
number of reasons - partly the desire to coordinate with other efforts
who are on a different schedule, and in part because the desire to
create an RDF document that is both extensible *and* computable
("reason-able") is very strong.  On the other hand, removing the ability
of a script kiddie to delete the entire registry was also a high
priority, so we currently find ourselves "in limbo".

The latest hiccup was my discovery last week that the Dublin Core RDF is
~OWL Full, and we use Dublin Core in our RDF signature.  This means that
we could not use a reasoner to do request/service mapping... which is
one of the useful features of moving to an RDF-based service description
(a la S-MOBY).  Matthew H at Manchester has just given me a heads-up of
a "patched" version of the Dublin Core that we can use instead of the
native one, and this should allow us to use a DL reasoner.  I'm trying
to find time to test this in reality using a few signature RDF's, but my
own time is quite limited these days as we approach the end of the
school term.

It's just a lack of hands for what it turning out to be a more difficult
task than we had first imagined!

Eddie can answer the other comments.