[MOBY-dev] Object naming inconsistencies

David Gonzalez Pisano dgpisano at cnb.uam.es
Tue Apr 4 11:04:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

Gonzalo Claros from INB at Malaga and some other members have found
some inconsistencies in the moby ontology datatypes names. Looking at
an BioMOBY ontology release from 05/10/04, we deduced that it was
recommended to use compound names with the underscore "_" to separate
words. However, right now, we can find strange cases like:

text_plain
text-plain
PMUT-Text
PMUT_Text
PDB-Text
text-formatted
text_formatted
text-html
text_html

and so on

When differences are in final datatypes (PMUT_Text, PDB-Text, etc) it
is not so disturbing,, but when the alternate names correspond to key
nodes like text_formatted, plain_text or text_html, the name
difference can affect implementations (INB implementations and your
own services, that's why we ask here).

At INB, we are considering using the underscore "_" in any case, but
we would like to maintain compatibility with BioMOBY Central in
Canada. So, which will be considered the main root object, the one
with "-" or the one with "-"? What are you using?

Cheers,

David