[MOBY-dev] CommonSubs -> creating a common Java and Perl interface

Edward Kawas edward.kawas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:00:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

Mark and I were talking about what we feel is the need to
create a CommonSubs interface that would be implemented in
both Java and Perl.

Currently, CommonSubs.pm has the following methods:

	genericServiceInputParser
	complexServiceInputParser
	getArticles
	genericServiceInputParserAsObject
	getSimpleArticleIDs
	getSimpleArticleNamespaceURI
	simpleResponse
	collectionResponse
	responseHeader
	responseFooter
	getInputs
	getInputID
	getArticlesAsObjects
	getCollectedSimples
	getInputArticles
	isSimpleArticle
	isCollectionArticle
	isSecondaryArticle
	extractRawContent
	getNodeContentWithArticle
	validateNamespaces
	validateThisNamespace
	getResponseArticles (a.k.a. extractResponseArticles)
	getServiceNotes
	getCrossReferences
	whichDeepestParentObject
	_rearrange (stolen from BioPerl ;-) )

The subroutine descriptions can be found at
http://biomoby.org/moby-live/Perl/MOBY/CommonSubs.html

We need functions that will, among other things:

	1) Get enumerated invocations from an incoming
message

	2) Add enumerated outputs to an outgoing message

	3) Add an error message to the header

	4) Read error messages from the header

	5) Extract individual inputs from an invocation...

	etc

So this is a call out to service providers to tell us what
functions they believe would be useful to have (i.e. make
their lives much easier).

Thanks,

Eddie