[moby] [MOBY-dev] RE: parseMobyData

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Nov 2 17:50:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 07:47 -0800, Edward Kawas wrote:

> Also, I think that I could add support for parsing
> collections. Given a collection, return a list of whatever
> that widget returns.

Wow... I didn't realize that this functionality wasn't already in there
somewhere.  Or am I misunderstanding? Can't Taverna take a collection
and pass the individual members one at a time to a downstream service
that consumes simples?  I guess I've never built a workflow that needs
this.  It's an interesting "book-keeping" problem for Taverna in that it
would have to generate unique queryID's for each of the Simples it
passed, since these would not have been provided by the previous service
provider...

> Moreover, you and Pieter have been talking about retrieving
> the string (and most likely integers, floats, etc) from the
> objects. Pieter went as far to say that he creates
> processors to do that for him. Do you think that it would be
> worthwhile to add another port to processors that contain
> the 'primitives' so that you can retrieve them?

YES!  YES!  YES!  This is critical for interacting with anything other
than a MOBY service...

"Ontologists do it with the edges!"

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor