[MOBY-dev] parseMobyData

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Wed Nov 2 13:06:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On 2-Nov-2005, at 1:32 PM, Rebecca Ernst wrote:

> Hi Eddie!
>
> I had another look into Taverna to see if our workflows now run
> correctly but found two problems of parseMobyData.
> The first problem is that parseMobyData can't deal with collections
> (it never could) the second is that it also can't deal with the new
> object stucture (e.g. a string object containing a string now) as
> it only checks the first layer content and never goes into the
> additional string.

Well as far as I know it never did that either. It's a much bigger
problem. It will not decompose any multi-layered objects. Currently
it's easy to compile a big object from multiple smaller objects. If
you add a complex object to your workflow Taverna will add all the
individual parts and create the links between them. But decomposing
the big object is something else. The info about the object's
relationships are stored in the ontology, so theoretically it should
be possible to generate proccessors to decompose the big ones, but I
guess that is more like a feature request then a bug :). Currently I
create custom services to decompose big objects again as a
workaround, but some automated object decomposition in taverna would
be really cool...

Cheers,

Pieter

> Do you know of these problems and if so - are there any plans for
> fixing it?
>
> Cheers,
> Rebecca

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen