[moby] [MOBY-dev] Re: Problems with Biomoby servicesin Taverna 1.2

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 09:24:48 UTC 2005

Rebecca,
   Many thanks for the explanation.
   I think this is the critical part:
> Basically I think it doesn't make sense to register an output as being a
> collection if the results don't form an entity!

   I assume that by entity you mean 'set of pieces that belong
semantically together'.
   I think that the current concept of Simples and Collections gives you
full freedom to model your output in any way you consider proper. For
example, if you do not feel comfortable to put all AGI Codes in one
collection because they represent semantically different things you can
split them by types (or whatever semantics you choose) into several
collections, or you can actually deploy several services, each of them
returning a different set (collection) of AGI Codes given the same input
keyword. But you know all that.
   I believe that we need to keep the concept of Collections open as are
the general data types in other languages (e.g. hashtables). I am sorry to
bother you with these obvious comments.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger