[MOBY-dev] Moby Collections (was: Problems with Biomoby servicesin Taverna 1.2)

Dirk Haase d.haase at gsf.de
Wed Jul 20 12:24:08 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 11:24, Martin Senger wrote:
> Rebecca,
>    Many thanks for the explanation.
>
>    I think this is the critical part:
> > Basically I think it doesn't make sense to register an output as being a
> > collection if the results don't form an entity!
>
>    I assume that by entity you mean 'set of pieces that belong
> semantically together'.

Exactly.

>    I think that the current concept of Simples and Collections gives you
> full freedom to model your output in any way you consider proper.

This is actually _not_ the case and that is why we brought up the issue. There
is no proper way to output things which really make up a 'set of pieces that
belong semantically together'. For example there is no way to output the
results of a clustering service (a cluster is a set of sequences, the service
result is a set of clusters), because a collection of collections is not
allowed afaik.

Of course one can create a 'cluster object' but this creates rather artificial
hurdles in workflow creation. Suppose that after the clustering, each cluster
should be fed into a multiple alignment service. This would presumably take a
collection of sequences as input. So one would have to decompose the cluster
object first before it can be further processed.

I think we all agree that on the input side a collection only makes sense if
it is meant as one semantical entity (example from the API docs: several
sequences make up the BLAST database that is to be queried). But not so on
the output side. So we have an inherent unequality which complicates workflow
building.

> For
> example, if you do not feel comfortable to put all AGI Codes in one
> collection because they represent semantically different things you can
> split them by types (or whatever semantics you choose) into several
> collections,

The claim is they are not related...  The only relation is that they pop up
for the same input but that is obvious for this kind of services and does not
need to be emphasized by stuffing them into a collection.

>    I believe that we need to keep the concept of Collections open as are
> the general data types in other languages (e.g. hashtables).

That is a good point, but I'm not sure if it is appropriate to compare the
concept of Simples/Collections to general data types in programming
languages.

> I am sorry to
> bother you with these obvious comments.

No, they are very welcome indeed!