[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-dev] surprising results with speed tests:

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jul 30 11:34:50 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 07:28, Phillip Lord wrote:

> Are you sure its not the database which is causing the speed
> problems? Some of the XML technologies can be slow, it's true, but
> there again, so can SQL access.

Actually, it is something different altogether!  It looks like network/CGI speed
is perhaps the primary culprit.  I just ran a test script that talks directly
to the MOBY::Central module (rather than having a CGI/SOAP call to it) and
the results are below:

real	0m0.878s
user	0m0.570s
sys	0m0.050s

it runs in almost 5% of the time versus the network call.  The one
additional factor with the network call is the creation of an additional
Perl object (MOBY::Client::Central) so that might also account for some
of the overhead.  Certainly, the XML parsing and database access isn't a
big contributor, since MOBY::Central itself must also parse XML and make
SQL calls.

...hmmmm...

I'll try to get MOBY Central running under mod-perl and try the tests
again.  Perhaps that will make a difference.