[MOBY-dev] surprising results with speed tests:

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 13:27:27 UTC 2003

  Mark> So... the speed problem might be coming from the internal XML
  Mark> parser used by MOBY Central itself.  Over the next couple of
  Mark> weeks I will try to move MOBY::Central and
  Mark> MOBY::Client::Central over to using XML::libXML rather than
  Mark> XML::DOM.  Apparently the underlying library is faster for
  Mark> LibXML.  I'll test it again after that and post the results to
  Mark> this list.  If at that time the speed hit is proportionately
  Mark> more for SOAP, I think we should reconsider whether we need to
  Mark> be using it or not.

Are you sure its not the database which is causing the speed
problems? Some of the XML technologies can be slow, it's true, but
there again, so can SQL access.

Have you tried running what the equivalent SQL queries from your bench
mark, direct through a mysql client? It maybe just building some
indexes will solve the problem.

Cheers

Phil