[GSoC] [gsoc] Fastr proposal

Alberto Arrigoni arrigoni at ingm.org
Wed Mar 19 08:46:02 UTC 2014

Hi Olga,
Very well!
I would suggest you take a look at the Fastr presentation http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/jvmls2013vitek-2013524.pdf to get a grasp of the general ideas behind the project (in particular the schematics in slide 35).
Please, do not worry about R, as the project is based on Java and you will just need to understand the use of the main data types (coming from Java I guess this will be relatively easy).
Dr. Vitek will supervise the development from a technical point of view (he is one of the creators of Fastr, and he is listed as 'mentor' in the original proposal on the OBF wiki).

We have a rather tight schedule (as the end of submission time for new proposals is set to be on Friday), so please remember to register and fill application details in Melange (http://www.google-melange.com/), and do not hesitate to contact us for any further clarification.

In the proposal on Melange you may briefly elaborate on the state of the art (the aforementioned presentation is useful in this regard) and the context of development (a brief description of ANTLR and Truffle).
Please let me know when you are through with this, so that we can work on some 'bio' examples to list for development during the course of the project.

All the best,
Alberto