[EMBOSS] problem with eprimer32

Hamish McWilliam hpm at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 16:28:34 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

> in the current EMBOSS there are 2 wrappers for eprimer:
> ####
> eprimer3     Pick PCR primers and hybridization oligos
> eprimer32    Pick PCR primers and hybridization oligos
> ####
>
> eprimer3 is for primer3  version 2.3.x (works for me with 2.3.6)
> and
> eprimer32 is for the older version 2.2.3
>
> So if you want to use the new primer3 version (2.3.5), the symbolic link is not needed.
> Just put primer3_core in the path and use eprimer3.

FWIW you can set the path to the primer3_core version to use by setting
the corresponding environment variables in the EMBOSS configuration. For
example in my 'emboss.defaults' I have:

ENV EMBOSS_PRIMER3_CORE /ebi/extserv/bin/primer3-1.1.4/primer3_core
ENV EMBOSS_PRIMER32_CORE /ebi/extserv/bin/primer3-2.2.3/primer3_core

This method may make it somewhat easier to keep track of which versions
are being used that using the symlink and PATH options.

All the best,

Hamish

> Kind regards,
> David.

Mr Hamish McWilliam,
Web Production,
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD
United Kingdom