[EMBOSS] seqret does not find sequence after update

Oliver Liegmann oliver.liegmann at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 4 07:53:38 UTC 2011

Dear list members,

does some of you also got this problem (and probably has an idea on what's going wrong):

After upgrading from version 6.2.0 to 6.3.1 seqret does not work
properly anymore:
First, Emboss was installed using
./configure --enable-64 --prefix=/opt/emboss
make
make install

The database was set up with:
dbifasta -dbname plafa -idformat simple -filenames PLAFA_test.fas

Using seqret to retrieve the sequences produces an error:
seqret plafa_test:PLAFA_MAL13P1.23-b
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
output sequence(s) [plafa_mal13p1.fasta]:
Error: Failed to read sequence 'plafa:PLAFA_MAL13P1.237a'

Only the remaining two sequences are stored in the output file.

Are the allowed characters used in the accession changed? With Emboss
6.2.0 we did not have any problems, but after upgrade a huge bunch of
sequences could not be retrieved anymore when used with our internal fasta database, although the output in
outfile.dbifasta shows all sequences to be inserted into the database.

The content of the different files are:
PLAFA_test.fas:
>PLAFA_MAL13P1.23-b
MLTCFLFYIYEKKASNKKYDYDEIDLNDDDDDIIDNKSFDKNNYSYNIKNRLFKHYKKVH
>PLAFA_MAL13P1.237a
MKNTFFFVLSFFLYITILDITLTSLIQKNILKEKVDKEYMKVFLFVNNSQKYCEKDNIIL
>PLAFA_MAL13P1.23-a
MSFESFVLKDEKKASNKKYDYDEIDLNDDDDDIIDNKSFDKNNYSYNIKNRLFKHYKKVH

test.txt:
plafa:PLAFA_MAL13P1.23-b
plafa:PLAFA_MAL13P1.237a
plafa:PLAFA_MAL13P1.23-a

emboss.default:
DB plafa [
	format: fasta
	method: emblcd
	directory: /home/liegmann/genomezoo/emboss/prob/test/db
	type: P
]

Best regards,
Oliver Liegmann