[EMBOSS] databases connection failed

Alessandro Bruselles a.bruselles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:27:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I have a problem with the emboss connection with databases;
this is the output (after a while) when I try whichdb or infoseq:
:~$ whichdb BAC1
Search all sequence databases for an entry and retrieve it
Output file [outfile.whichdb]: stdout
Error: socket connect failed for database 'gba'
socket connect failed for database 'gba': Connection timed out
Warning: Cannot open division file '<null>' for database 'emblnew'
Warning: seqCdQry failed
Warning: Cannot open division file '<null>' for database 'trembl'
Warning: seqCdQry failed
Warning: Cannot open division file '<null>' for database 'nbrf'

  EMBOSS An error in ajseqdb.c at line 5350:
seqCdQryOpen failed

:~$ infoseq genbank:l07770
Display basic information about sequences
Error: socket connect failed for database 'genbank'
socket connect failed for database 'genbank': Connection timed out
Error: Unable to read sequence 'genbank:l07770'
Died: infoseq terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' and no prompt

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening?

thanks