[EMBOSS] accessing emboss ftp site

Hamish McWilliam hpm at bioinfo-user.org.uk
Wed Jun 30 14:18:03 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

I'm also seeing problems with the FTP site, but using Mirror rather
than Transmit, it looks like the server does not like options being
specified to the LIST command:

Scanning remote directory /pub/EMBOSS
---> CWD /pub/EMBOSS
250 Directory successfully changed.
---> TYPE A
200 Switching to ASCII mode.
---> PORT 172,21,22,1,171,245
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
---> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (208,94,50,58,104,178)
---> LIST -lat
timed out
Cannot get remote directory listing because: timed out
Cannot get remote directory details (/pub/EMBOSS)
disconnecting from emboss.open-bio.org

Trying it with a command line client I get the response to hang if I
try using any options to ls or dir, without options they are fine.

All the best,

Hamish