[EMBOSS] pepstats pI values (vs protparam)

Ingo P. Korndoerfer korndoerfer at crelux.com
Tue Jun 29 08:05:02 UTC 2010

o.k. ... so i will contribute why we need to know the pI.

our core activity is the purification of proteins for crystallization. a
good pI prediction helps us making better guesses at what ion exchange
media and buffer conditions might make a good starting point in the
purification. so, i guess, what we need is the pI under conditions
typically applicable to a purification. which is likely somewhat off
from "physiological", but might be diluted saline solutions, typically,
e.g., 100 mM NaCl, 10 mM Tris ... (just to give an idea about the ionic
strength, if that matters).

and while we are at it: it might be interesting for us to also be able
to guess beforehand what difference a serine or threonine
phosphorylation etc might make ...

ingo