[EMBOSS] EMBOSS remote server list?

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 07:35:04 UTC 2008

Ashika Umanga Umagiliya wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am new to EMBOSS and I want to use entret but, seems the default
> remote DBs are inactive.
> It would be much appreciated if anyway can give me some working remote
> DB Urls to use with entret.
>
> I used following list also ,but no use:
>
> DB embl [  type: N method: srswww format: embl release: "EBI"
>  url: "http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srs7bin/cgi-bin/wgetz";
>  comment: "EMBL from the EBI" ]

That should be the correct definition. It works for me.

What was the entry you are trying to retrieve? One possible problem is that
the EMBL database has renamed the older entries (the ones that has useful
names like PAAMIR).

Unfortunately, EMBOSS can only tell you it failed to find the entry you ask
for.

If you still have problems, add -debug to the command line and send the
entret.dbg file to emboss-bug at emboss.open-bio.org and we will try to
diagnose the problem.

There is a list of other SRS servers at
http://downloads.biowisdomsrs.com/publicsrs.html