[EMBOSS] Kaptain GUI for EMBOSS 5.0

Thomas Siegmund siegmund at develogen.com
Wed Feb 20 08:49:25 UTC 2008

Dear list,

I'm happy to announce a new version of the Kaptain user interface for EMBOSS.
EMBOSS.kaptain v.0.98 provides a simple and efficient GUI to use EMBOSS 5.0
and the embossified Phylip 3.6b on the desktop.

The GUI depends on Kaptain, a tool to build nice graphical user interfaces for
command line applications like EMBOSS. Kaptain is a Qt3 application. Due to
problems with it's configure script it got more and more difficult to install
on recent systems. To address this, and to make Kaptain a little more
future-proof I have ported it to the modern cMake build system and to Qt4. A
patch and build instructions are in the EMBOSS.kaptn package.

You can find the package, some screenshots, and additional information as
usual here:

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~sgmd/download.html

For Mac users Koen van der Drift provides a fink package at:

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/emboss-kaptain

Qt4 is availible under various open source licenses for Windows as well. Thus
with Kaptain on Qt4 it may be possible to build and use the Kaptain GUI on
that OS as well.

Have fun

Thomas

--