[EMBOSS] using emboss programs from spin] - Checked by AntiVir DEMO version

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Sun Nov 5 19:15:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:00:20AM +0100, Miguel Ortiz Lombardia wrote:
> Here, a number of users are quite afraid of the command line ;-{ so they
> would appreciate a graphic interface to EMBOSS. We tried Jemboss first,
> but got a number of problems that we couldn't solve (essentially with
> some results text files being corrupted). Then, I met with this
> interface from the Staden package, and found it very useful, to a
> certain extent.

	Dear Miguel,

If you want a GUI for EMBOSS another possibility is wEMBOSS, a Web interface with
the user data permanently stored at the side of the server. A version that fully
supports EMBOSS 4 is just out (see http://wemboss.sourceforge.net).

However, I consider that Staden spin remains useful. When I personally have to do
some bioinformatic analysis with EMBOSS, I usually work at the command line. But for
programs that produce an XY-graph I use spin, because it has this nice feature of
displaying in one window a zoomable graph and in another window the sequence,
allowing to see which detail of the graph corresponds to which range of the
sequence.

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu,
	BEN